Sunday, July 22, 2012

Where is Your Money Going? The Boundary of Financial Design (Read Time: 3 min.)

Where is your money going?  

Not generally (like most people refer to) but SPECIFICALLY.  Where did your last $50.00 bucks go?  Mine went to KMart (light bulbs, deoderant, chapstick), Pretzyl Time (a pretzyl for my 15 year old and a small lemonade as we had mother/son time) and Chevron gas station ($25.00 in the gas tank plus a car wash).

Can you be that specific about where your money is going?

Most people spend their lives throwing money at things that lack vision, purpose, or destiny.  They buy out of a need to feel secure and they purchase things from which they can never get true security.

Does that sound like you?

Isn't it time you decided that your destiny and your financial decisions go hand in hand?
Isn't it time you put paper to pencil and got VERY serious about where you spend your cash?
Isn't it time you put your money where your mouth is and made financial decisions based on destiny and not desire?

And here's where the boundary conversation comes in:  

What financial boundaries are you willing to create 
so you can have the life you say you want? 

AND

How long are you willing to hold to those boundaries?

I decided last week that I would only go to Wal-Mart once every 3 weeks.  You see, WalMart is a weakness for me (and most of America).  You go to WalMart for toothpaste and you come out spending $200.00.  Now, that's making Sam Walton's heirs rich but it's not doing much for my destiny.  So I've decided that Sam Walton only sees my money once every three weeks.


What if I need chicken breast?  
I've created the boundary that I don't go to WalMart which means 
I now go to a grocery store that only sells groceries.

What if it's more expensive than WalMart?  
Well, I save money on things I would've bought at WalMart because 
those things aren't sold for cheap at the grocery store.

What if there's something I need to buy at WalMart that I can only get at WalMart?  
If there's something that I need to buy that I can't purchase at a grocery store, pharmacy, 
gas station, or other retailer, then I did something wrong in my once every three weeks 
grocery list and, at the end of the day, it CAN WAIT.

Here's the bottom line:  
Your financial decisions are designing your life.  

Be sure that where you spend your money 
is where you really want to spend your life.  
There's a deep correlation between the two.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Healthy Boundaries Check In Sheet

Healthy Boundaries on Slideshare...